Naked Brain News

It's kinda like news for smart people and stuff.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

We consume music.



So why don't CD's have expiration dates? I'm talking to you Mr. Metallica Truck Driver Hat Wearin' Man. A Twinkie has a shelf-life of 20 years, right? So do The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and the old Stones stuff. Seriously though, if you're still listening to Bush's Glycerin, waving your lighter in the air, as if it was still 1994, or Collective Soul for that matter... or rap, it's as if you're eating stale bread, or like moldy pizza or something. It just isn't fresh anymore. Let's ask an expert on freshness in the music world.

Naked Brain News - What do you think about all this Will Smith, since you were formerly the Prince of Freshness... of Bel Air.

Big Willy Style - Ya, ya'll know I'm just gettin' Jiggy with it. That's it! Na na na na na na na.

NBN - Thank you Mr. Smith, for that educated and poignant answer. Next time I'll just ask Bill Cosby.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rap has lost a lot of the luster it once had. But putting it a group with Bush and Collective Soul isn't giving it it's proper due. The grunge fallout was a fade. Rap has been around for 20+ years (like said Twinkies). It's not going to go away, but hopefully it'll have a renaissance soon.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fad not fade. Stupid me.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Kevin Lewis said...

You're right. The comment was out of hand. There's just so few sparkling diamonds in raps giant pile of shit. Just kind of belonged with Collective Soul and Bush because it was either the post-grunge fad or really shitty gangster rap. Too many rap artists are just about fooling people into believing they are "real" thugs. Vanilla Ice tried to do the same thing... grabbed my 9 all I heard was shells, etc., and I think that his hard thug life is about as 2 legit 2 quit as Jay Z's, Snoop Dog, etc.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Kevin Lewis said...

"Grabbed my 9 all I heard was shells," etc., and I think that his hard thug life is about as 2 legit 2 quit as Jay Z's, Snoop Dog, etc.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally think "riding in my grey volvo, with the rag top down so my hair can blow" is the best. What's this? It's supposed to be 5.0? Darn you Ben Kweller for making a silly song even sillier.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, you're a bigot.

Your un-bigoted friend,
Nicholas the Serb.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Kevin Lewis said...

Hrrmmm... Bigot? By got I think not. How? I mention Bush (white boys)... so what if Bill Cosby is black (hell he's the bigot). I guess I didn't mention any Indian, Mexican, Native American, Jewish, etc., artists... the fact that I don't care if I do or not makes me maybe unsensitive, but bigotted... hardly.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, you arent't a bigot. The Will 'Smif' quote is fairly indicative of our perceptions of rappers and maybe 'urban' culture in general. While Smith could probably be more articulate in reality, as I think most rappers can, there is a conscious choice not to. It's making it cool to sound ignorant with the masses. As far as rap losing it's luster, it's painful to watch. Rapping used to be about the lyrics. On some levels, rap used to be very lyrically complex and had an actual technique which set the good rappers apart from the crappy. Now, it could hardly even be called rap. There's no rapping, it is just some guy with twenty of his friends in the background, chanting lyrics that someone else wrote. Of course this phenomenon isn't exclusive to rap, it is happening across the board. What makes the Stones great is their originality. I feel the same way about Aerosmith, they have been around forever and I think it is because they aren't merely performers, they are musicians.

Nicholas

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home